Wednesday, September 28, 2011

And It Begins....


Today is the day.  The day my official half marathon training begins. 

Send prayers, well wishes, and lucky charms my way.

I am following this program by Dave Kuehls for Runners World.

I chose this program because it only requires 3 days of running.  Since I cross train 4 days a week (2 days at Bleacher Club and 2 days at CrossFit), I knew it would be hard to fit a lot of running days and a rest day.

My plan is to do speedwork on Wednesday mornings before work, tempo runs on Thursdays either in the morning or evening, and long runs on Sunday mornings or possibly Saturday mornings, depending on my weekend plans.

So my weekly breakdown will be as follows:

Mon - PM Bleacher Club
Tues - CrossFit
Wed - AM speed run/PM bleacher club
Thurs- tempo run (& possibly CrossFit, depending on how I feel)
Fri-CrossFit (If I do CrossFit Thurs, rest day or Bleacher Club Bonus)
Sat -rest or long run
Sun-rest or long run

Wow.  That seems overwhelming when it is written down.  Looks like my life will be training and only training for the next ten weeks!  







My running mantras:

" You are fine.  You are alive.  You are not going to die."

"Just pick up and put down your feet."

"Quit worrying about the finish line and focus on how you feel.  You are fine."

"This is a mental challenge.  Your legs are strong enough to carry you through this."

"The faster you go, the sooner you finish.  The sooner you finish, the sooner you can have a beer."

"You will regret stopping and walking, you will NOT regret finishing this run strong."


***Confession: I did not get up and run this morning. Way to kick start your training, Rebecca! I have been insanely lazy and eating awful lately.  The effects of my slothliness (is this a word?) and gluttony were evident during this CrossFit WOD last night.  I was on the verge of puking through the entire workout.  I need some motivation to get back on track.  Looks like I will be running before or after my workout with Bleacher Club.  I hope Mike isn't too hard on me since I haven't worked out with him in 2 weeks!




What is your running mantra?

Did you half marathon veterans follow a strict training plan?  Was it as consuming as I think this is going to be?




1 comment:

  1. Love those running quotes! I need to get my butt out there and just "pick up and put down my feet." haha

    ReplyDelete