Thursday, September 22, 2011

Back to Life...Back to Reality

Despite my 2 naps yesterday and sleeping late today, I still feel jet lagged.

Fortunately, I have today and tomorrow off work.  I needed these days to get my life back in order.  On today's agenda was massive mountains of laundry, grocery shopping, and my first workout in 10 days.

Grocery shopping

A success.  I hit up Sam's and Kroger.


Welcome back into my life, fresh produce....I've missed you so!


I bought these whole wheat bagel thins and english muffins at Sam's.  I've never tried them. They are both around 110 cals, 22 g carbs, 3 g sugars, and 8 g  protein  for a whole muffin or a whole bagel. I thought they would be a fun alternative to bread.




Check out these plums from Kroger.  They are HUGE! The biggest I've ever seen! And the plums, peaches, and nectarines were on sale for $0.99 per pound.





I also picked up these purple and gold cauliflower off the clearance produce shelf for $1 per large head.  Aren't they pretty?  I haven't exactly decided what I'm going to do with them yet, but I have some ideas.




If you don't use it, You may not loose it

After 10 days off from working out, it was hard to motivate myself to go to the gym.  I was tired, I have some sinus issues going on, and my stomach has been hurting all day.

On top of all that, I was nervous I would not be able to keep up.  For some reason, I thought that all my muscles wasted away after not using them for so long.

Excuses for my lack of exercise

I swore I would work out while on vacation...at least get in some treadmill runs. But that didn't happen. 

Wednesday I left for Houston immediately after work.

Thursday was spent traveling all day. 

Friday we left early for surf camp, which was definitely a workout.  My chest and shoulders were sore from paddling.  So much fun, though!

Saturday morning I got up, put on my tempo's and running shoes, and headed to the gym.  It wasn't open yet but peaking through the window, I saw no treadmills and very little weight training equipment.  I think the gym was geared more towards yoga and pilates classes. 


I snapped a pic of me in my running gear to prove my attempt at working out.

After this, I gave up.  I wasn't going to wait around until 10:00 AM for the gym to open, especially since they didn't have any equipment I wanted to use!  I didn't feel safe running around our villa alone.  So I was basically a lazy beach bum for the rest of our stay.

My first workout back

Today, I procrastinated for as long as I possibly could and finally went to the last CrossFit class of the day.

The WOD was basically 3 half mile sprints with 3 minute rests between. (The warmup itself was pretty tough and included a 1500m row along with some other things.) It was a great first workout back, since running is something I'm generally comfortable with.

While it was only a mile and a half total run, I really pushed myself and it was tough.  My official half marathon training starts next Wednesday, and this was an eye opener of how hard my speed runs will be. I have been focusing on distance and neglecting speed.

It felt good to get blood pumping in my legs. 

I'm back, baby!



What is the longest amount of time you have gone without working out? 
Do you ever buy clearance produce?

No comments:

Post a Comment