Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Harlequin & A Piece of Cake

Friday night, I celebrated my great-aunt and great-uncle's 50th wedding anniversary by joining my family for dinner at The Harlequin.


There was a recommittment ceremony, but I skipped that part of the celebration because a) it was all the way in Sulphur and b) I wouldn't have been able to CrossFit at 4:30 and be showered in time. 

50 years of marriage is truly an accomplishment.  My parents have been married for 34 years and my maternal grandparents have been married for over 50 years.  My paternal grandparents were married until my mawmaw passed away, and my pawpaw never remarried. I feel blessed to have such successful role models when it comes to marriage. I know without a doubt that if I one day do get married, it will truly be until death do us part.

Back to the food.

My sister and I arrived to the party after everyone else.  It was a little chaotic when we walked in, because the private room was in use by another group and there were more in our group than the restaurant expected. 

They moved as fast as they could to add tables to our little corner of the restaurant and get everyone seated.

The Harlequin is sort of a Lake Charles institution.  It is a family owned steakhouse, passed from generation to generation.  The walls are adorned with family portraits and various Louisiana themed memorabilia (There is quite an homage to the King Pin, Earl K Long). 

There are 2 smallish dining rooms and the bar area.  I love that the restaurant is broken up this way, because it makes the experience much more intimate.

Service was slow, but that is expected with such a large group.  By the time we were served our entrees, I was almost too tired to eat.

I ordered the 7 oz. filet, medium rare with a side of sauteed mushrooms.  It came with the house salad, which was iceberg greens and one cherub tomato.  I opted for the poppyseed vinagrette and did not like it at all.   It tasted like red onions.   Although, every single bite of that salad was devoured because I was famished.  (My sister liked the dressing so I think it was just a matter of my tastebuds' aversion to red onion.)

My steak was cooked to perfection.  I took the bacon off, and cut right in.  The outside had a crisp sear and the inside was buttery smooth.  Exactly how I like my steak.  The mushrooms were good, but a little salty for my taste.

No one else was overly impressed with their meal. 

Harlequin Steaks & Seafood on Urbanspoon 


What everyone was impressed with was the wedding cake.  It was from A Piece of Cake.

There were 2 layers: pineapple and traditional wedding cake.  I devoured nibbled a piece of the traditional. (had to carb load for my long run the next morning, right?!?)

The cake was fluffy and light, while the icing was almondy and sweet without being too sugary sweet.  I hadn't had cake this good in a long time. 

I wonder if they sell cake by the slice?  That could be trouble...

A Piece Of Cake on Urbanspoon


My final assessment - 
If you are looking for somewhere to have a nice steak dinner with a good atmosphere, the Harlequin might be your place. 

If you are looking for somewhere to buy a delicious cake, A Piece of Cake is your place!


Do you prefer to eat steak in a restaurant or at home?
At home.  Not my home, but my parents home.  A la Chef Dad. 

Do you have will power against wedding cake?
I can't ever go to a wedding and skip the cake!