Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Oats Fail, the Rolling Stones, and Ripped Hands

Despite the fact that I was super team spirited for work Monday, the Tigers faced a brutal loss Monday night. :(
Horizontal stripes = very unflattering!
That yellow necklace is my favorite piece of jewelry!  It's vintage.  My cousin bought it for me at a garage sale.  I wear it with my purple to support the Tigers and with blue to support the Cowboys.  (I wish I would have taken a close up pic to show y'all how cute it is!  It's yellow and pearl.)

It was a great season, though, and there is always next year!

Adventures in Breakfast

I've tried a few new breakfasts this week.  Mostly because I'm out of bananas and spinach for my normal smoothie, and have been unwilling to go grocery shopping.  Some were successful, some were not.

Monday was overnight oats in a jar...Fail!  I don't know if I put too much almond milk or what, but they were soupy and gross.  Of course I ate them anyway, because I don't waste food.


Tuesday was a new smoothie recipe.  1 scoop vanilla protein powder, frozen raspberry juice (I had processed and frozen some raspberries this summer), juice of 2 satsumas, ice, and almond milk.  It was delicious, but I was hungry again by 10:00, so ended up fixing some oats at work.

Wednesday (today) was another smoothie.  I'm going to call it oatmeal cookie smoothie.  1 scoop vanilla protein powder, 1/4 cup of oats,  1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp vanilla extract, a splash of sugar free caramel coffee flavoring, ice, 1/2 cup almond milk, and a pinch of xantham gum.  It tastes just like an oatmeal cookie!  I put a little too much xantham gum and it was a too thick for my liking.  Hopefully it holds me over for a while.

Moves Like Jagger

I love the Rolling Stones.  My favorite Stones' song is Beast of Burden.  My least favorite: Angie.  Actually, every time it comes on the radio, I change the station.  But I had it stuck in my head all day yesterday because I knew I'd be doing this WOD at CrossFit.

I was excited because I hadn't attempted "Angie" since November of 2010.  At that time, I was still a newbie, so the coaches recommended I only do 75 of each exercise. I used blue and green bands for pull ups, did push ups on my knees, and finished my 75 reps in 17:45. 

Last night, I did all 100 reps (They let us break it up however we chose, so I chose 10 reps of 10.  That means I did 10 rounds of 10 pull ups, 10 push ups, 10 sit ups, and 10 squats.)  I used the green band for pull ups and did "real" push ups.  My time was 24:40. 

It was the pull ups that killed me!  By the last round, I could only complete 2 reps before having to break. 

It didn't help that my hands completely ripped!  Ouch! 


Post workout/pre shower bouday.


Washing my hair was PAINFUL!
 It's funny what adrenaline will do, because my hands never hurt until I looked down at them during about round 8.  You would think I would have felt my skin separating from my body, but nope! 

Have you ever eaten overnight oats in a jar?  Like or dislike?  Any tips for me?  If not, what is your favorite breakfast?