Friday, March 16, 2012

Free Thursday Evening

My Thursday evening plans included a friend I haven't seen in ages coming over to visit, then us walking to dinner at a restaurant about 1.5 miles from my house.  The walk was going to serve as my "exercise " for the day and my Friday blog post was going to be a review of the restaurant.  Perfect! My exercise, a blog post, and dinner all in one.  

But she cancelled due to doggie troubles. So I made the best of my free time and checked a few things off my to do list.

Harvested the last of my lettuce....

Thank you, daylight savings, for the beautiful light in my kitchen at 6:30 PM.

It wasn't as pretty as my first round of harvest.  Good timing, though, because since my dinner plans were canceled and I was out of spring mix, I needed something to eat! It was immediately used for a salad.


I also need the planter which was housing my lettuce, because soon I will have sprouted basil seeds to transplant.  The tiny little seeds that have been patiently waiting in paper packets finally made it into some soil.


I planted 2 varieties: genovese


and sweet.



A pineapple that had been sitting on my counter for over a week was finally cut into pieces and enjoyed.  It was good, but not as sweet as I was craving.

 


My evening in the kitchen was rounded out by making another large batch of sweet potato chips. 



I also painted my toes and cut my hair.  Yes, you read that correctly, I cut my own hair for the first time.  It was looking very scraggly and I loathe making an appointment and paying to have it cut.  (I'd rather spend the money on a new dress.)  So naturally, I  turned to google. "how to cut my own hair." After watching a few you tube videos, I ultimately settled on this guide.  I figured if it turned out awful, I'd just go have it fixed by a professional tomorrow.  It's long enough that I could just have my mistake cut off.  How did it turn out? I don't really know yet, because I haven't fixed it, but there sure are a lot of layers!  I'll post a picture soon.


What would you do with a free afternoon?
Have ever cut your own hair?  Do you think I'm crazy for trying it?

8 comments:

  1. I usually just throw my hair in a ponytail and chop off an inch or two to put off getting a haircut, but that's it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'm going to pay for a haircut, again. It was too easy to do myself.

      Delete
  2. I'll want to spend a free afternoon either baking or doing yoga :)

    I've never cut my own hair - I'm too scared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to start doing yoga. I know it would help with my flexibility.

      Delete
  3. I actually ALWAYS get a free (or super-cheap) haircut thru Craigslist! If you go to the beauty section and type in "free haircut" there are always tons of places that need "hair models" - so usually it takes a little longer as the teacher comes by often, but I feel like that means they do an even better job! I'm not sure what it would look like where you live but in the Boston area there are so many salons that it's never too hard to find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! I know we have one beauty school, but they only do cuts a couple of days a week and still charge around $20. I'm going to check it out.

      Delete
  4. I cut my bangs in college. They looked great the night I went out but then next morning were pretty horrific! I will never do it again haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did that to a friends bangs in college! She never asked me to cut her bangs again.

      Delete