Saturday, June 23, 2012

Book Review: Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

source
This book was wonderful!  Exactly the type of book I like to read.  It wasn't until I finished that I realized it was non-fiction, which made me like it even more.  You couldn't make this stuff up!

The author is a New Yorker who decided to split his time between the Big Apple and the low country of Savannah, GA.  He narrates his way through this old, slow, Southern city and makes me long to stroll through Savannah's mossy oak canopied squares and parks.

During his time there, he meets lots of very interesting characters ranging from Savannah high society to drag queens to voodoo priestesses.  Each character has a personal relationship with the author and you can't help but adore each one.

The bulk of the story is focused around the trial of an older high society gentleman accused of murdering a 20-year old employee in his mansion.  He claims self defense.  Through the trial you learn the relationship between the two may have been more complex than typical employee and employer.  Being that it is the South, politics, social statuses, football, and voodoo play roles in the trial.

Are you intrigued?

I would give this book 5 stars out of 5.  (and I did on Good Reads!)

Now, I'm itching for a trip to Savannah.  Who wants to come with me?

3 comments:

  1. I will read it and then most likely want to join you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh this sounds like a really interesting book! that's for the review!

    ReplyDelete