Monday, June 11, 2012

A Good Week Behind Me and A Good Week Ahead

Happy Monday!

I hope your weekend was fantastic.  I didn't make it to New Orleans as planned, but my weekend was great none the less.  Because my trip didn't happen, I had time to grocery shop, spend time with my sweet godson, prepare a Paleo feast that even some non-Paleoers enjoyed (recipes to come soon), and lay by the pool and read 8 magazines.  Yes, 8!!! (2 Self, Bon Appetit, 2 Food Network, Garden & Gun, Glamour, and Thrive - a local publication)

Last week, I got in a few really tough workouts. 

Monday - off
Tuesday - this WOD.  I PR'ed at 155#
Wednesday - off
Thursday - Painstorm.  Holy makrel, it was tough! My shoulders still hurt.  After my second break, I was really struggling.  A fellow CrossFitter who had already finished came over and did more GTO's with me until I finished.   He pushed me to finish before timing out and I don't know that I could have done it without him.  Have I ever mentioned how much I love the CrossFit community?!?!
Friday -Ran a 10K at CrossFit. Worst.time.ever!  I used to be good at running...what happened?!?
Saturday - "HOPE".  It was a fundraiser for St. Jude's Children's Hospital.  The entry to the workout was $20 and boxes all over the nation participated.  This was by far the toughest workout of the week, but was fun because you had a "teammate" keeping your score and cheering you on.  (BTW, girls prescribed weight was 55# snatches and 55# thrusters)
Sunday - foam rolled my poor shoulders and legs.

Also, I ate strict Paleo all week.  A good week of working out and eating right has me motivated going into this week.  I plan on winning the Durio Biggest Loser Challenge!

Here is the plan for this week:

Monday - run 3 miles 2 miles DONE! (Snooze was hit one too many times and I had to skip out on my last mile.)
Tuesday - CrossFit
Wednesday - rest
Thursday - CrossFit
Friday - CrossFit
Saturday - run 3 miles
Sunday - run 3 miles or rest


The heat/humidity is killing me on runs lately.  My pace is 1 to 2 minutes slower than normal! I did a little research and found that this isn't abnormal.  It takes time to acclimate to the heat.  See the links below for more running in hot weather information:

Tips for summer running via Runners World

The science behind heat acclimation via irunfar.com

How to acclimate via FitFluential

It's times like these I wish I was a boy and could run shirtless!


Do you move indoors to a treadmill when it gets hot?
What is your favorite hot weather workout gear?

3 comments:

  1. It has been very humid here in PA, so I can only imagine that it's about a million times worse in the south! Great links though, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the first summer I was in college (long time), I've decided to take it to the treadmill. I'm not really sure if it is the heat so much that bothers me (although that is part of it), as much as I find it is a lot easier to do speed workouts on the treadmill. Another reason is that it is just too hot for my dog to run and since I usually go earlier morning, I feel safer on that terrible machine than I do out on the streets alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dog has retired for the summer, too, but I'm still sweating it out on the pavement. I don't really do speedwork (probably why I move at a snails pace), but I could see where it would be easier on the treadmill because you have so much more control.

      Delete