Monday, July 16, 2012

The Difference a Year Can Make

One of the reasons I am obsessed with CrossFit is because you are able to track your progress.  Thursday, I completed "Lumberjack 20" for the third time in my CrossFit career.

"On Nov. 5 2009 at 1:34 p.m., a terrorist named Major Nidal Hasan attacked fellow soldiers and civilians at Fort Hood, TX. He killed 12 soldiers and one civilian and wounded 43 others.

SPC Frederick Greene, 29, of Mountain City, TN, PFC Aaron Thomas Nemelka, 19, of West Jordan, UT, PFC Michael Pearson, 22, of Bolingbrook, IL, and SPC Kham Xiong, 23, of St. Paul, MN, along with eleven of the wounded were active CrossFitters in the 20th Engineer Battalion, home to
Lumberjack CrossFit."

20 Deadlifts (275lbs)
Run 400m
20 KB swings (2pood)
Run 400m
20 Overhead Squats (115lbs)
Run 400m
20 Burpees
Run 400m
20 Pullups (Chest to Bar)
Run 400m
20 Box jumps (24")
Run 400m
20 DB Squat Cleans (45lbs each)
Run 400m
*These were the men's prescribed weights. 
The first time I tackled Lumberjack 20 on November 9, 2010: Finished in 29:29 (90# deadlifts/20# KBS/25# OHS/blue & green band pull-ups/ 20” box jumps/15#-each side- dumbbell squat cleans)

The second time on July 18, 2011: Finished in 36:45 (135# deadlifts/25#KBS/45# OHS/blue & green band pull ups/20” box jumps/20# ES dumbbell squat cleans)

     My time increased (by a lot) but so did my weights. 

Thursday, my third time, July 12, 2012: Finished in 34:58 (155# deadlifts/35# KBS/45# OHS/blue & red band pull ups/20" box jumps/20# ES kettlebell squat cleans)

     My time decreased and my weight increased! Progress, people. While I  increased weight on deadlifts and kettlebell swings and used smaller pull up bands, my weights remained the same on overhead squats and squat cleans.  I still struggled with both.  (I actually started with 25# dumbbell squat cleans, but dropped down after 2 reps because I knew it would take me all night to finish.  Plus, I was exhausted and my form was awful.) This just goes to show me these are areas on which I need to focus.  Also, I think I could have used heavier weight for the kettlebell swings, but I've never attempted more than 35# and didn't even consider it at the time.

I've decided to really concentrate on lifting heavier. My sister and I had a conversation about whether you should lift lighter and finish quicker or lift heavier and have a slower time.  I always  feel much more tired and like it took much more work when I use heavier weights.  This is going to be a big push out of my comfort zone, because I love more cardio driven exercises and heavy stuff makes me nervous!

Last weeks workouts:
Monday-rest
Tuesday-AM CrossFit
Wednesday- AM 3 mile run + tabata
Thursday-AM PM CrossFit
Friday-CrossFit
Saturday-run or AND CrossFit
Sunday-run or bleachers


Even though I skipped Wednesday and Sunday workouts, I went to CrossFit four times and added a run on Saturday.  Not too bad.

This week's plan:
Monday-3 mile run and foam roll already slept through it...not a great way to start the week
Tuesday-AM CrossFit
Wednesday- AM 3 mile run

Thursday-AM CrossFit
Friday-CrossFit
Saturday-longish run (at least 5 miles)
Sunday-run or bleachers

Other goals this week:
-No eating after work on my late days. 
-No TV after work on my late days...if I'm too wound up to sleep, I will read in bed.
-Lift heavier at CrossFit (see above)
- continue to work on July goal of kicking into a handstand (I'm getting so close!!!)
-eat strict Paleo Monday through Friday
-Not binge on Sunday (I have gotten into a bad habit of overeating at my mom and dad's house on Sundays.  Yesterday it was jambalaya, ice cream, and the most delicious oatmeal, white chocolate chip, and cranberry cookies!)

Are you a cardio queen (or king) or a weights warrior?

No comments:

Post a Comment