Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Rainy Day Recipe: Smothered Okra and Chicken

The weather here in southwest Louisiana is quite dreary.  It has been raining for 2 days.  I had to muster every bit of motivation in my body to get out of my cozy bed before daylight so I could tackle this WOD this morning (finished in 23:21).  Actually, I did a little test to see just how late I could sleep and make it to the box on time.  If the alarm is set for 5:00 and I snooze until 5:10, I still have time to brush my teeth, pull my hair into a bun, put on my workout clothes, and drive to the gym by 5:30.

Of course I am glad I drug myself out of bed and got my workout in, but I'm still sleepy!  


Rainy weather makes me crave warm, comforting food.  Gumbo, chili, soup, or if you do not have hours to let something simmer....
Smothered Okra and Chicken
6 servings
ingredients
1 tbsp oil of choice (I used Paleo friendly coconut oil.)
1 tbsp garlic
3 bags frozen cut okra, defrosted (Fresh would work, too, and probably taste better.)
1 can stewed tomatoes (I used some tomatoes my mom had canned last summer.)
salt, black pepper, and red pepper to taste
1 whole cooked chicken, deboned (I used rotisserie chicken, but leftover grilled or smoked chickens are great.)
1 tiny splash of liquid smoke (Omit if using a smoked chicken.)


directions
Heat oil in large pot.  Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.  Add okra.  Season with salt and peppers.  Cook, stirring frequently.  When it starts to stick to the pot, add a little water and cover with a lid. Okra will get very slimy.  Continue to cook, adding water when necessary and stirring often, until okra is very soft. 

Add the tomatoes and stir.  The acid from the tomatoes reduces the sliminess of the okra.  Cook down the tomatoes.  If it is still too slimy, add more tomatoes.  Taste and adjust seasonings.

Add the chicken and stir.  Add the liquid smoke and stir some more.  Cook until the chicken is heated through.  Serve and enjoy!


What do you like to eat on rainy days?


Oh, and check out my new Recipage!  Click on the "Good Eats" tab.  My recipes are so organized and happy. :)

2 comments: