Friday, July 22, 2011

Roasted Veggie Fritatta

I try to limit my carbs at night, so supper is usually salad with some form of protein.  But, I had no lettuce in my fridge and was too lazy to go to the store.  I did have delicious garden fresh veggies.

(The eggplant and tomatoes are from my my dad's garden, the squash is from my granny's garden, and the basil was grown by yours truly! 3 generations of produce!)

So I decided to make a roasted vegetable egg white frittata, with Greek seasoning and fresh basil.

Roasted Vegetables
1 small eggplant, peeled & diced
2 small squash, diced
2 small tomatoes, roughley chopped
4 jarred artichoke hearts, roughly chopped
2 tbsp of liquid from artichoke hearts
non-stick cooking spray
1 tbsp garlic
1 tbsp greek seasoning
1 tsp black pepper



Spray the veggies with non-stick cooking spray & toss in a bowl with greek seasoning, black pepper, garlic, and reserved artichoke liquid.


Spray a baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.  Put the vegetables in the baking pan and roast at 400 degrees for 40 minutes, mixing veggies after 20 mins. 



Yum!  Now you have delicious roasted vegetables to use in your fritatta!  There is more than one serving here and since I was only making a one-serving fritatta, the leftover roasted veggies are used in my Mediterranean fish tacos.  

Egg White Fritatta with Roasted Veggies
4 egg whites
2 tbsp coconut milk
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
non stick cooking spray
roasted vegetables (see above...I used about 1/3 of the recipe)

Whisk egg whites, milk, salt & pepper.  Spray a small non-stick, oven proof skillet with cooking spray and heat.  Add roasted vegetables to skillet and spread evenly around pan.  Reduce heat to medium and add egg white mixture and swirl around pan until eggs are evenly layered.  Allow the eggs to set on bottom and do not stir.  When eggs on the bottom of the skillet are lightly set and top is still gelatinous, add basil and place under broiler in oven. (I would usually add a little feta along with the basil, but I didn't have any)



Broil about 3 to 5 minutes or until edges are slightly browned. 


Run a spatula around the edges of the pan and slide onto a plate...As you can see, I have trouble with this step, but even if your fritatta doesn't stay perfectly intact, it still tastes delicious!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment