Sunday, August 21, 2011

Arts & Crabs Fest

After my long run yesterday morning, I went to my parents to collect a few more of my things.  I found this little treasure in the fridge.




Spinach, boiled shrimp, white beans, boiled eggs, & green onions.  Which led to this text to my mother.



Then, I ransacked the rest of their house.  I left with a bag of pecans, a jar of pepper jelly my mom made this week, the latest Southern Living, and my mail.




I read the magazine poolside with the brownie.




Arts & Humanities Council of Southwest Louisiana hosted the 2nd Annual Arts & Crabs Fest yesterday at the Lake Charles Civic Center.

                                            Arts & Crabs Fest
Local artist displayed their work, local musicians played, and 10 local restaurants prepared crab dishes.  Each dish was paired with an Abita beer.  Wristbands for the tasting were $25 each and all the proceeds went to the Arts & Humanities Council.  They had me at crabs & beer. 

It was an authentic display of what Southwest Louisiana has to offer.  Great music, great art, & great food!

The tastings were as follows:
Big Daddy's: Crab Etoufee & Abita Turbodog
Lake Charles Country Club: Mini Crab Cakes & Abita S.O.S.
Sha Sha's of Creole: Crab Stuffed Jalepenos & Abita Amber
Cajun Cafe: Crab Stuffed Mushrooms & Abita Mardi Gras Bock
Steamboat Bills: Crabmeat Au Gratin & Abita Andygator
Cypress Grill/Graywood: Gazpacho & Abita Abby Ale
121 Bisto: Mona Lisa Pasta & Abita Golden
Harlequin: Crab Cevice & Abita Restoration Ale
Coyote Blues: Crabmeat Poblao Bisque & Abita Jockamo IPA
Pujo St. Cafe: Crab & Avocado Salad & Abita Wheat

My favorites were: Pujo's Crab & Avocado salad, it was so refreshing and light; 121 Bistro's Mona Lisa Pasta, there was not only crab in it but also shrimp; and the LC Country Club's crab cake, I am a sucker for a crabcake and this one did not disappoint.  It was mostly crab, with little filler and had a light crispy crust.

Least favorites: Big Daddy's etoufee and Cypress Grills Gazpacho.  Crab has a naturally sweet flavor, but both of these dishes were too sweet for me.

While I have tried most of these beers, the S.O.S., Golden, and Mardi Gras Bock were new to me. I liked the S.O.S., LOVED the Golden, and hated the Mardi Gras Bock.  The after taste was strong and bitter. 

Unfortunately, I forgot to take any pictures at the event.  I wore my new dress I made with my thrifted material and an old tank top.  I did snap some pics after I made it, but decided later to hem it above the knee.


Pre-hemming.

Its much more flattering with a belt.


After the event, we met some friends for drinks and dancing. 




My camera got passed around and I ended up with 60 pictures!  Most are very fuzzy, dark, or inappropriate.

It was a late night.

No comments:

Post a Comment