Friday, August 26, 2011

Two a Days & Sweet Potato Pie for Lunch

Happy Friday!  I'm so happy it's almost the weekend!

Workout #1
Yesterday was an odd, crazy, busy, great day. Since it was already Thursday and I had logged ZERO miles of my 12 mile goal, my day started with an EARLY run.  I was out the door by 6:00 AM. I pounded out 3.5 miles. 

Breakfast
I was famished when I returned home, so I ate my favorite breakfast ever, a yogurt bowl.  Greek yogurt, cherries, Kashi GoLean cereal, and a touch of honey.  I realize that most people would call this a parfait, but because I don't have a fancy parfait glass, I dump it all in a bowl and call a spade a spade.

Brunch?
I didn't go into work, but had a meeting across town at 9:00. After the meeting, I was hungry again.  I made my go to meal: a fritatta.



Cheddar & Chive Fritatta (It's actually a Cheddar & Green Onion Frittata, but I love alliteration, hence the title of my blog.)
1 serving

4 egg whites
2 tbsp milk (I used almond milk)
salt & pepper to taste
non stick cooking spray
2 tbsp fat free shredded cheddar
2 tbsp chives (or green onions)

1. Whisk egg whites, milk, salt, and pepper together.
2. Coat an oven-safe non stick skillet with the non stick cooking spray and heat on stove.
3. When skillet is nice and hot, add egg mixture and reduce heat immediately to medium.
4. Let eggs set on bottom.  Do not stir. 
5. When eggs are set on bottom and still a little runny on top, sprikle them with the cheese and chives.
6. Transfer the skillet to the oven and broil until the eggs are set on top and the cheese is melted and slightly browned.
7. Remove from oven and slide a spatula under the eggs all the way around the skillet.
8. Slide to a plate and enjoy!

Confessions of a Shopaholic
I planned on using my day off to get some stuff done around the house.  I was in full on productive mode when I got a text from my mom saying Dillards had an extra 40% off all their sale items. I thought, "No.  You will resist. You need nothing.  You do not need to shop."

Then came a follow up text: "Swimsuits are 65% off with and extra 40% off." A girl's will power against a sale is only so strong.  And my trip to the Dominican is less than 3 weeks away.  And I have only bought one new swimsuit this summer.  As soon as my handyman (aka the nearest guy with a drill who is off in the middle of the day on a Thursday) left, I grabbed a string cheese to hold me over and zoomed to Dillards.

My purchases included 3 new swimsuits, a pair of brown sandals, a maxi dress, a romper, and a blue glass pitcher, all for $120 after tax.  My big splurge was the sandals at $24.  Even though they were mega on sale, $24 for a pair of sandals isn't all that cheap to me, but my old brown sandals have seen better days. 



The new sandals are real leather and great quality.





Upon calling my mom to rave about all my purchases, I discovered she bought me the exact same pitcher I bought myself!  Great minds think alike.  Now I have one for sweet and one for unsweet!

Lunch
All that shopping worked up an appetite.  I looked in my fridge and saw a sweet potato that needed to be cooked.  Thus was born:



Sweet Potato Pie Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
2 servings

1 sweet potato
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
2 tbsp milk (I used almond milk)
1 tbsp cinnamon

1.Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2.Poke holes in you sweet potato with a knife or fork.  Microwave the potato for about 6 minutes or just hit the potato button.
3. Remove potato from microwave, cut in half, and scoop the "guts" into a bowl, reserving the skins.
4. Add the protein powder, milk, and cinnamon to the bowl.  Mix and mash everything together.
5. Return potato mixture to the skins.  Place skins on a baking sheet in the oven for about 10 minutes.

I swear, this tastes just like sweet potato pie!  I have had a sweet tooth all week so this was the perfect lunch.

Workout #2
Next on my day's agenda was the 3:30 CrossFit class.  I had not checked the website to see the WOD (workout of the day), so was going into this one blind, no clue what I was about to face.  The whole way to the gym I prayed, "Please no running.  Please no running."  It was 3:30. It was hot. And I had already run 3.5 miles.

The WOD did not include running, but the warmup was a mile for time, 20 knees to elbows, and 20 back extensions.  ***ugh.  Everyone's reaction was the same.  "A mile.  Really?!?!"  But I survived.  My time was definitely not my best at 10:17 (My PR is 8:07), but it added a mile to my goal....4.5 down, 7.5 to go.

The WOD was deadlifts, which I always need to work on because my form tends to be bad.  The goals was to work up to 92.5% of you max.  My max is currently 195 pounds, so I worked up to 180 pounds.  My lifts were 3 reps each of 115#, 125#, 135#, 145#, 155#, 165#, 180#.

Dinner
I had plans for dinner with friends at Coyote Blues at 6:30.  I knew I would be starved by then, and resisting chips and salsa on an empty stomach would be near impossible, so I boiled a couple of eggs and ate the whites.

I order the spinach salad with shrimp, but was that girl and asked the watier to leave off the onion rings, mangoes, candied pecans, and blue cheese.  He forgot the avocado. I made a puppy dog face and he returned with some sliced avocado.  I'm needy!

The Organic Spinach Salad

Sun dried tomatoes, spiced pecans, mango, red onions and Bleu cheese crumbles in a balsamic apple cider vinaigrette with fried tobacco onion rings. Small or large.

The salad was delicious, but I enjoyed the company more!

I wore my new maxi dress and got lots of compliments. :)


Coyote Blues on Urbanspoon


Weigh in Friday update:
    last week (I forgot to post): - 1/2 lb
    this week: -2 1/2 lb

Do you ever make special requests at restaurants?  If you do, do you feel bad for the server?