Tuesday, August 2, 2011

When Life Hands You Lemons, Go Run on a Bridge

Yesterday was a jam packed, busy, exhausting day! 

The half marathon I planned on running Nov. 19 was cancelled. :( I looked at the website yesterday and saw this: 
Thank you for your interest in the Seawall Half Marathon. Unfortunately, the event will not be held in 2011

So I looked up other half marathons nearby, consulted with Andrea, and we decided on the La Porte by the Bay Half Marathon on December 4, 2011. The good news, we have more time to train.  The not-so-good news, we will be running the Fred Hartman bridge over the Houston ship channel. We are going to need the extra training time!

                                    


After work, I headed over to bleacher club.  Despite the fact that Mike wasn't there, we had a good turn out.  I was the substitue "leader" of the group, but I definitely followed more than I led....I think I was the last to finish the workout. With a heat index over 100 degrees and mosquitoes feasting on us like it was their last supper, we did the following workout:
                    2 laps around the track (half a mile)
                    50 plank knee-ins (each side)
                    50 burpee side to side hops
                    50 sumo squats
                    50 pulse squats
                    10 push up-5 plank walks-push up-5 plank walks
                    40 single dead lifts/bird pickers (each side)
                    5 rounds of 10 leg lifts-single bleachers
                    10 double bleachers
I burned just over 500 calories in exactly 58 minutes.
The group post workout.

After workout, I grabbed a smoothie for supper,  then headed straight to my soon-to-be home to clean.  Even though there were still floors to be swept and cabinets to be wiped, we stopped around 9:30. When I got back to mom & dad's, I found my dirty clothes laundered, folded, and sitting on my bed. 

Thanks, mom! I think I could get used to staying here!

My lunch for the past 2 days has been turkey, eggplant, spinach, tomato, & quinoa stuffed bellpeppers.  This was my first quinoa experience, and I have to say I really like it! The texture is awesome and it has more protein and less carbs than other grains.  Check out this article on why quinoa is so great.
Turkey, Eggplant, Spinach, Tomato & Quinoa Stuffed Bellpeppers
(8 servings)
8 bellpeppers
1 yellow onion, peeled & diced
1 lb extra lean ground turkey
1 large eggplant, peeled & diced
1 bag frozen spinach, defrosted & drained
1 can diced tomatoes
2 cups dry quinoa
1/2 cup fat free shredded mozzarella cheese
salt & pepper to taste
1 tsp garlic, minced
1 tbsp dried basil
1 can chicken broth
non-stick cooking spray

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2.Cook quinoa according to package directions.


3. Cut the tops off the bell pepper & remove all seeds and membranes.  Dice the tops of the peppers, discarding the stems.  Place the hollowed out bell peppers in boiling water for approximately 3 minutes to soften. Remove the peppers from water and put in a baking dish

4. Spray sautee pan with non-stick cooking spray.  Turn on the heat and add diced onion & bell pepper.  Cook until onions are translucent.  Deglaze the pan with chicken broth as needed.  Add garlic and let brown.

5. Add ground turkey to sautee pan, salt & pepper to taste, and brown.

6. Add diced eggplant, diced tomatos with juice, and spinach to the sautee pan.  Add remaining chicken broth and basil.  Cook until liquid is reduced and eggplant are soft.


7. Fold cooked quinoa into turkey mixture.  Stuff the hollowed out peppers with the turkey & quinoa mix.  If you have extra stuffing, put it in a casserole dish.  Top peppers and extra stuffing with the shredded mozzarella.

8. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.

Check out my mom's old, avocado green Corelle Ware.  I saw some exactly like this recently at a flea market for $40! Call it vintage and you can charge a fortune!

Sorry, I don't have any pictures of the finished product becuase I put them in the oven, told my sister to take them out when the timer beeped, and went out for a run.  Hope y'all enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment