Friday, September 16, 2011

Snacks-to-Go, Vol. 1: Carrot Cake Granola

I am on vacation in the Dominican Republic, and I didn't want y'all to miss me too much.  So I scheduled a series of posts while I'm gone.

I plan on drinking lots of calories in the form of margaritas, pina coladas, daquiris, mudslides, etc.  My prefence is to waste empty calories on boat drinks rather than food, so I made and packed some nutritious snacks. 

Over the next week I will post my recipes for these easy to go snacks.

First up:

Carrot Cake Granola

Carrot cake is my favorite cake of all time!  My mom has the best recipe with a rich, cream cheese frosting that is full of pecans.  My mouth is watering thinking about it.  She makes it every year for my birthday cake, and I always look forward to it!

So when I ran across this carrot cake granola recipe on Chocolate & Carrots blog, I was ecstatic!  I made a few revisions to reduce the fat and sugar, so below is my version of Carrot Cake Granola:

ingredients

2 cups old fashioned oats
2 cups Kashi GoLean cereal
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup carrots, shredded
1/4 cup honey
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 cup unsweentend coconut
1 cup raisins
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tbsp nutmeg
1 tbsp salt

directions

- Preheat oven to 300 degrees



- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients (except nuts & coconut): oats, cereal, raisins, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.



-In another bowl, combine wet ingredients: applesauce, carrots, honey



- Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients.



- Spread mixture onto baking pan.  One with sides makes the next step easier.

- Bake for 30 to 40  minutes, stirring every 10 to15 minutes.



- Stir in pecans and coconut, bake for another 20 minutes.



- Let cool and store in airtight containers.

The result is a chewier granola that has all the flavors of my beloved carrot cake!


What is your favorite cake flavor ever?
Does your mom still make you a birthday cake?

No comments:

Post a Comment