I am on vacation in the Dominican Republic, and I didn't want y'all to miss me too much. So I scheduled a series of posts while I'm gone.
I plan on drinking lots of calories in the form of margaritas, pina coladas, daquiris, mudslides, etc. My prefence is to waste empty calories on boat drinks rather than food, so I made and packed some nutritious snacks.
Over the next week I will post my recipes for these easy to go snacks.
Carrot Cake Granola
Carrot cake is my favorite cake of all time! My mom has the best recipe with a rich, cream cheese frosting that is full of pecans. My mouth is watering thinking about it. She makes it every year for my birthday cake, and I always look forward to it!
So when I ran across this carrot cake granola recipe on Chocolate & Carrots blog, I was ecstatic! I made a few revisions to reduce the fat and sugar, so below is my version of Carrot Cake Granola:
2 cups old fashioned oats
2 cups Kashi GoLean cereal
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup carrots, shredded
1/4 cup honey
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 cup unsweentend coconut
1 cup raisins
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tbsp nutmeg
1 tbsp salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients (except nuts & coconut): oats, cereal, raisins, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
-In another bowl, combine wet ingredients: applesauce, carrots, honey
- Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
- Spread mixture onto baking pan. One with sides makes the next step easier.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring every 10 to15 minutes.
- Stir in pecans and coconut, bake for another 20 minutes.
- Let cool and store in airtight containers.
The result is a chewier granola that has all the flavors of my beloved carrot cake!
What is your favorite cake flavor ever?
Does your mom still make you a birthday cake?