Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Snacks-to-Go, Vol. 4: Dehydrated Fruit

I have been on the hunt for dehydrated fruit without added sugars.  It is impossible to find.  So I decided to make my own. 

Unfortunately, I don't have a dehydrator, so I used the oven.

Dehydrated Fruit

ingredients:

fruit of choice, deseeded and sliced (I used bananas)


Directions:

- Heat oven to lowest possible temperature it will go.  (Mine was 170 degrees)



- If drying bananas or other light colored fruit, sprinkle with lemon juice to help it retain its color.



- Place fruit on baking sheets lined with parchment paper (Silicone baking mats would be ideal, but I don't have any. Those of you who follow me on Pintrest know this because it is on my "Christmas List" board! Hint, Hint.)



- Bake with oven door slightly ajar for approximately 6 to 8 hours, or until dry.  Stir around or flip every 2 hours or so, to ensure the fruit doesn't stick.  Keeping the oven door cracked prevents fruit from steaming.  Using a wooden spoon worked wonderfully.





Check out this website from the University of Georgia for more info on drying fruit.

If you were to dehydrate any fruit that your heart desired, which fruit would it be?

I'll be back in the states late, late tonight!  I have a ton of blog reading to catch up on...good thing I'm off  work the rest of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment