Sunday, October 16, 2011

Half Marathon Minus a 5k & Minestrone Soup

Double Digits

Yesterday was the long run on my half marathon schedule.  10 miles!  It was my first time to tackle double digits!!!!

At mile 2, I was sure I wouldn't finish.

At mile 5, I thought "Hey.  There is a chance I can do this."

At mile 8.5, I wanted to die!  But I was so close, so I pushed through and made myself finish.

My stomach had been hurting for 2 days, and it continued to hurt throughout the run.  My legs were fine, my lungs were fine, but my stomach...it felt like I ate lead.

Also, I was having some sinus issues.  Lead stomach+thick mucus=not a good combo, so I had to make a few quick stops to spit. (Classy, I know!)

My route was planned so that the 10 miles ended about a half a mile from my house, so I had time to walk and cool down.  As soon as I reached that point and started walking, my hamstrings tightened up.  I told them, "Hamstrings, you are so wierd!  I run 10 miles and you are fine, now I walk and you want to do this to me!"  Honestly, that half mile walk was almost as bad as the run.  After running for almost 2 hours, walking seems so slow.  I thought I would never get home!

I can't belive I slow jogged ran 10 miles! 

Running 10 miles is a good way to eliminate the guilt of brownies, beer, and chips consumed while watching football.  (LSU won and McNeese lost :( )

Only a 5K away from my goal! (Oh my, I can't imagine adding a 5k to the end of that run!)


Minestrone Soup

I made this recipe last week.  I had been wanting to make Minestrone Soup ever since Emily posted this recipe.  It is always cold in my office, and I find myself craving warm and cozy eats for lunch. I modified Emily's recipe a little by adding more veggies, adding protein in the form of ground turkey, and eliminating the pasta.

This is a great recipe to freeze.  So make a ton now, and freeze some for later in the winter, when it is really cold!

ingredients:
non stick cooking spray
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 onion, chopped
1 bellpepper, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 lb ground turkey
2 cans tomatoes (I prefer whole stewed, but sliced or diced works too)
2 cans chicken broth
1 bag frozen green beans
1 bag fresh spinach
1 lb zucchini, chopped
2 cans cannellinni beans, drained and rinsed
1 lb of brussell sprouts, halved
1 tbsp oregeno
2 tbsp italian seasoning
salt & pepper to taste

Directions:

1.  Spray a large stock pot with non stick cooking spray and turn heat to high.  Add garlic and allow to brown (about 30 seconds). Add onions, bellpepper, and celery.  Sautee until tender and onions are translucent.



2. Add the ground turkey to the pot.  Season with salt and pepper.  Cook until fully browned.



3.  Add canned tomatoes and their juice to the pot. 

4.  Add chicken broth to the pot.

5.  Add the rest of your vegetables to the pot.

so many veggies!!! :)

6. Add enough water to cover all the vegetables in the pot.  Add oregano and italian seasoning.



7. Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat.  Simmer soup until vegetables are soft. 



This was way to0 much soup for just me, so I invited family over to share!  I served it with whole wheat roasted garlic parmasean bread and salad (as if there weren't enough greens in the soup!). 

My plan was to freeze some, but after sharing with the family and packing it in my lunch a few times, there ended up being none to freeze!  I will have to make another batch soon!


Lazy Sunday

Today is the first day in a million that I don't have anything that I absolutely have to do.  I am so happy! 

I plan on going to Sunday lunch at my mom & dad's house, then coming home to lay on the couch and watch the Saints.

It is my rest day, so no exercise.  If I get too stir crazy and bored, I may take Lola for a walk around the lake.




What is the furtherest you have ever run?  What is your favorite cold weather food?

10 miles, obviously & gumbo! It's a toss up between duck gumbo, seafood gumbo, and shrimp and okra gumbo.  But I love chicken gumbo, too.










No comments:

Post a Comment