Saturday, December 17, 2011

25 Questions: Holiday Style


A fun holiday survey I stole from Alexandra's blog.

 1. Egg nog or hot chocolate?

Swiss Miss diet hot chococlate nightly! If I'm feeling fancy, I add a drop of peppermint extract. 

But my mom makes the best egg nog, so about once a week I'll splurge on a glass.  (I've actually never drank store bought egg nog.)


2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?

When I was little, unwrapped.  Now, Santa comes to my parents house pretty frequently through the month of December and drops off wrapped presents.  Wierd.  There is currently a MASSIVE present under there tree from Santa to my sister.  I'm a little jealous, even though I know bigger isn't necessarily better.  I guess the kid in me wants the biggest present!


3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? 

All white inside and out.  Sidenote: The other night, I ran down Shell Beach and there is a row of oak trees with white lights wrapped all the way up.  Probably about 10 huge trees in a row.  Beautiful!  It makes me want to organize a nighttime Christmas 5k so everyone can enjoy it the way I did!


4. Do you hang mistletoe?

No.  I should.  Then invite cute boys over. 

 

5. When do you hang your decorations up?

Usually the weekend after Thanksgiving.  This year, I was a little late.


6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?

Broccoli rice casserole with shrimp.


7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child?

Every year, my cousins, my sister, and I would put on a Christmas play about the birth of Christ.  Every year, it turned into a fight.  Reason for the season, right?!?  It's funny to look back on now.

8. What is on your Christmas Wishlist?

A Garmin 305.  And a Kitchenaid mixer.  And new running/crossfit shoes.  I've been really good. :)


source

source
New Balance 10 - WR10RG - Women's Minimus Road Shoes
source


9. Do you open a gifts on Christmas Eve?

As a kid, no.  But then when we were a little older we started opening all our gifts on Christmas Eve, becuase we would go out of town for Christmas.  Now that we stay home, it's a "no" again.


10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?

I usually pick a color theme.  2008 -pink and black.  2009 -red and black.  2010 -white and red.  2011- white and silver.

My mom always had a pretty tree, never one with homemade decorations or kid ornaments.


2008
mom's tree - 2009

My tree this year.


11. Snow? Love it or dread it?

Snow? What's that?  Seriously, I think it has snowed here maybe 4 times in my life. 

But I love snow.  The first time I saw "blankets of snow", I was absolutely mesmerized by how it glistened and how glittery it looked.  Plus, you gotta have snow to ski!



12. Real tree or fake tree?

Fake.  Real ones are a mess.


13. Do you remember your favorite gift?

For some reason the things that stick out to me are a nice set of sheets and a bike, both in 2008.  Guess I was good that year.  My bike was stolen by February. :(


She wasn't a Christmas gift, but sure is cute wrapped up like one!



14. What’s the most important thing about Christmas for you?

Spending time with family.


15. What is your favorite Holiday dessert?

Ice cream. If I eat it during the holidays, then that makes it a holiday dessert.


16. What is your favorite tradition?

Stockings!  Stocking stuffers are always the funnest part. 


17. What tops your tree?

A silver finneal.



18. Which do you prefer: giving or receiving?

I love to give a gift that I know the recipient is going to love! 


19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?

Hard Candy Christmas - Dolly Parton.  Can anyone tell me what movie it is from?


20. Candy canes, yuck or yum?

Yum.


21. Favorite Christmas Movie?

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.   



source
 

22. What do you leave for Santa?

Nothing.  I remember one year insisting we leave something, but it was too late to make cookies so we left saltines.  The act of leaving saltines for Santa sums up my family.


23. Do you have a Christmas morning tradition?

Not really.  Mom's in the kitchen, we sort gifts into piles, open, then eat.


24. Do you prefer to shop on-line or at the mall?

Mall months in advance.  My method is to find stuff on sale and buy it throughout the year.  If it comes down to the wire, online.


25. Christmas letter or Christmas card?

Neither.  I bake "Christmas goodies" for close friends and hand deliver them. 


Reindog!




Links of interest:

Others that completed the survey:
Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers
Clare @ Fitting It All In
Tina @ Best Body Fitness


Mark at RW Daily - Have a Cookie  (<----Funny because it's true.)


What about you?  Egg nog or hot chocolate?