Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Amazing Properties of Cabbage

Biology 102 - Chapter 2: The Amazing Properties of Water

Through my 4 years as a biology major, I read lots of nerdy, dense, sciencey, wonderful chapters.  I have no idea why I so vividly remember this specific chapter of this specific textbook.  The whole chapter was dedicated to water; it was all about polarity, cohesion, adhesion, surface tension, capillary action, hydrogen bonding, and lots of other amazing water properties that I won't bore you with....

What I will bore you with is the amazing properties of cabbage.

source

Cabbage:

-One cup shredded contains only 22 calorie and has 91% of your recommended daily vitamin K (Vitamin K prevents bone fractures, calcification of arteries, and allows blood to clot normally) and 50% of the recommended vitamin C (Vitamin C nurtures a strong immune system, repairs damaged tissue, and helps maintain a proper central nervous system).

-is also a good source of dietary fiber (keeps you full), sulphur (useful in fighting infections), and iodine (keeps adrenal glands in check).

- according to some research, may help prevent colon, prostate, and breast cancer.

- is very versatile.  Cooked or raw.  Red or green.  Sweet or sour or both.  Asian or southern soul or Russian or Hungarian...

- is pretty.

source


- is cheap and easy to cook.

- is delicious!


Cabbage Soup


ingredients:
1 lb of ground meat of your choice (I used deer, but you could use beef, pork, or chicken)
1 head of cabbage, quartered then sliced
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 14-oz can of beans (I used great northern, but you could use chili, cannellini, or even black eyed peas)
1 14-oz can diced tomatoes
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
2 14-oz cans of chicken broth (or beef broth or veggie broth)
non-stick cooking spray
salt & pepper to taste
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp worcestshire sauce

directions:
Heat a deep soup/stock pot sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.  Add garlic.  Cook until it becomes aromatic. Add chopped onion. Cook until translucent and soft.  If needed, add a little chicken stock to keep from sticking.  Add ground meat.  Season with cayenne, salt, and pepper. Cook until brown.  Add cabbage.  Add balsamic vinegar and worcestshire sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until Brown.   Add diced tomatoes and their juice, tomato sauce, beans and their juice, broth, and about a half gallon of water.  Mix and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for as long as you have time.

The star of this soup show was definitely the cabbage!  While cooling on the stove, I found myself spooning chunks of cabbage out of the pot and into my mouth.  (I can do this sort of thing since I live alone.)

**Leave out the meat and use veggie stock to easily make this recipe vegetarian.


Sorry no picture of the soup.  I was so hungry by the time it was finished that all I could think about was gobbling up a bowl.   Plus, it was late, and 75% of the light bulbs in my kitchen are burnt out.


source

 Cabbage: Love it or leave it?  What is your favorite way to eat it?