Saturday, December 10, 2011

Easiest Apple Streusel Muffins, Ever.

Our quarterly office safety meeting was Friday.  It is the one of the few times everyone in our office is together, so we decided to celebrate Christmas early and have a little breakfast party.

Through the FoodBuzz Tastemakers program, I recieved coupons for free Duncan Hines cake mix and free Comstock Pie Filling.  I put my freebies to good use by including both in these muffins for my co-workers. 


Easiest Apple Streusel Muffins, Ever.
adapted from this about.com recipe

ingredients
muffins:
-1 box Duncan Hines yellow cake mix
-1 can Comstock apple pie filling
-2 eggs
-1 cup non-fat greek yogurt

streusel topping:
-1/4 cup chopped almonds
-1/4 cup packed brown sugar
-2 tbsp oats
-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
-2 tbsp melted butter

directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease or paper line muffin cups.  Combine eggs, yogurt, and apple pie filling.  Add cake mix, but don't over mix.  Fill muffin tins 2/3 full.   Mix all streusel ingredients together.  Top each muffin with streusel mix.  Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.


They dough wasn't very doughy...it was thick and creamy.  I wasn't sure how they would turn out.  They didn't really rise, but my cupcakes never do either. (I don't think I ever fill the cups enough.)


The flavor was great! Next time I will definitely add a little flour or oats to the batter to give the muffins more fluff.  They were moist, but very dense. 


Tastemakers requested we submit any blog posts using our freebies before November 30.  Oops!  Better late than never?

I'm having leftovers with coffee for a Saturday morning breakfast!

What are you having for breakfast this morning?