Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I'm a Cavewoman!

Today is day 3 of the Paleo Challenge.

It has been suprisingly easy!  My diet prior to starting the challenge (minus the week before) was fairly clean with minimal processed grains, so it's not a huge change.

The hardest part: no splenda in my coffee. 
The best part: I've rediscovered my love of avocado!

Not fearing healthy fats has been a change.  I've always tried to use olive oil, nut butter, and avocado in moderation because they are so calorie dense, but Paleo says these fats are great and keep your tummy full.

Rotisserie chicken has been a friend of mine.  Spring mix, lots of veggies, and chopped up chicken make for a delicous, quick, and easy lunch.

But one can't live on rotisserie chicken alone.  So I whipped up my very first Paleo recipe.

Paleo Venison Meatballs in Marinara
about 4 servings

ingredients
1 lb venison/deer
1/2 onion
1 egg
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp italian seasoning
1 tsp red pepper flakes
salt & pepper to taste
1 tbsp olive oil
1 jar "Paleo friendly" marinara (no soybean oil & no added sugars)

directions
Mix all ingredients except olive oil and marinara in a large bowl.  Form approximately 18 balls with mixture.  Heat large pan over high heat.  Add olive oil to hot pan.  Add meatballs and sear on all sides.  Turn down heat to medium and add entire jar of marinara.  Let simmer for approximately 30 minutes.

I originally had a $5 jar of fancy "all natural" marinara in my buggy, but this $1.88 jar contained the exact same ingredients.  Read your labels!  Notice, no soybean oil and no sugar on the ingredient list.

I ate mine over roasted broccoli.  I would say I wanted parm sprinkled on top, but Sally Anne told me to focus on what I can have, not what I can't, so I won't say it. 



Another aspect of the challenge is fitness.  Last night, CrossFit was a named WOD.  "Kelly". 

I had attemped a full Kelly twice, and timed out both times. Although, I did improve. (You can see my specific times and details on my "Work It Out" page.)

Last night, I didn't even finish 4 rounds before the time cutoff.  That is worse than I did in November! WTF!  The only thing I can chalk it up to is that I was running a lot more then, and my endurance was better.  And the fact that my left arm has been hurting.

I am determined to one day finish "Kelly" in less than 30 minutes!



What is the last thing you cooked?
What is your favorite "healthy" fat?

9 comments:

  1. The last thing I cooked was some chickpea meatloaf, I believe. ^^; This pale diet is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look amazing!! I had no idea that Ragu had a "paleo" approved sauce. I am totally going to pick up a jar! I love serving spaghetti sauce on top of broccoli--yummmo! Thanks for the shout-out! :)

    The last thing I cooked was paleo chili--I am posting the recipe tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last thing I cooked was a bison meat sauce earlier this week. It was so dang good!! I think my favorite healthy fat vote goes to avocados. I can't get enough of 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peanut butter & avocado (not together)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peanuts are legumes, so not Paleo, so I can't have it. :( But I think I like almond butter better anyway!

      Delete
  5. Oh! This looks so good!! I need to try these meatballs!

    ReplyDelete