Friday, May 4, 2012

The Friday Five

1. What I'm Reading: Still The Bayou Trilogy by Daniel Woodrell


I'm on the last of the 3 stories.  They are all centered around a small town back water cop who grew up rough and tumble, but he is now trying to do the right thing.  He struggles through relationships with his brothers, his girlfiend, the mayor, his chief, and the criminals who were his pals growing up.  Because he is a "good" cop, but has connections to a lot of criminals, he gets sucked into the politics and games.  I sort of love him.  The plots of the stories are not exactly my cup of tea, but the writing is phenominal. 

2. What I'm Listening to:  Right now, my iTunes is on a loop of
-Starships by Nicki Minaj
-Wild Ones by Flo Rida feat. Sia 
-Turn Me On by David Guetta and Nicki Minaj
-Dance Again by J Lo feat. Pitbull

I call it "Living Room Dance Party Mix".  It's what I rocked during my tabata session Thursday morning

Can someone please tell me when I started loving pop/dance music?

3. What I'm Eating: Chicken, eggplant, onion, kale, tomato, roasted red pepper, artichoke heart, and olive sautee


Since I was actually home last night, for the first time since Sunday, I cooked dinner.  I had an eggplant and kale that needed to be used, so I threw this together and seasoned it with garlic, salt, pepper, oregeno, and basil. Easy shmeasy and tasty. Look at all those veggies of different colors. 

It was my first time eating kale, and I have to say, I loved the texture.  It's much heartier than other greens.  Although, I don't think I would enjoy it raw.  It seems like it would be tough.

4. What I'm Watching:  I haven't turned the TV on since Sunday.

5. What I'm Pinning Photographing:
My bun after this CrossFit WOD yesterday.  The warmup included 4 minutes of double unders.  Jumping rope always makes my bun fall out, so I did a quick braid before starting.  After completing the warmup, I unbraided my hair and threw it back in a bun because I wanted it off my neck.  I don't know if it looked this way from the start or if the WOD jostled it around, but when I went in the bathroom to wash my hands post workout, this is what I saw.  I busted out laughing at myself.  It looked ridiculous.  The picture does not do the massive lump (or "taco", if you will) justice.  My bun shifted to the right, and a growth of hair developed on the left.  It was just plain ridiculous.


These lillies blooming in my front yard.  Beautiful!  They've been blooming for over a week, but I've been too busy to even go outside and enjoy them.


Right next to the blooming lillies are these Louisiana irises.  I like them better than the lillies. :)



I don't know if I've ever been so ready for the weekend.  Happy Friday before the Derby!  If you're betting, may the odds be ever in your favor.


Kale...Love it or hate it?  Raw or cooked?
What is your favorite vegetable?  I think mine would have to be cabbage.

4 comments:

  1. LOVE kale and I prefer it raw.

    My favorite vegetable ... I can't pick! I go through stages over every vegetable, which I find funny because I have a favorite fruit. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought more this week and I'm going to try it raw.

      Delete
  2. I also just tried kale for the first time last week - I made a veggie soup and threw in a couple kale leaves. LOVED it (and the soup). Had some left over and put that in a smoothie. Loved it. Tasted a bit raw (and not pureed with fruit) and thought I could probably enjoy that in a salad the same way I do spinach leaves. I usually don't buy baby spinach because my student budget is tight, so I'm already used to a somewhat tougher texture. The kale I had wasn't that much tougher than "adult" spinach.

    I'm actually not a huge veggie fan. The veggie I eat the most is definitely spinach because its so easy to throw in a bowl under some salad dressing. But my favorite? Not sure I like any of them enough to call them a favorite. If I had to choose, probably something like onions or mushrooms - do those count?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll count them! I love mushrooms, too! Have you tried buying spinach at Sam's or Costco? I find their spring mix and baby spinach SOOOOO much cheaper than at the regular grocery store.

      Delete