Thursday, June 21, 2012

Cucumber "Seaweed" Salad with Seared Ahi Tuna

I have not stuck to my workout plan for the week.  Actually, today was the first day I fit in a workout. #Fail. 


My punishment came in the form of burpee box jumps at 5:30 AM via this WOD.  Buh.rue.tall.  After the warm up, I was feeling good and knew it was a day to push myself.  The cutoff was 30 minutes.  It was going to be close. Burpee box jumps take a little longer than normal burpees because you have to take a step toward the box before the jump and step back down, but it also gives you a second to breathe! I'd finished 150 regular burpees in around 26 or 27 minutes a while back. 


Our coach, Travis, assured me I could do it.  I told him burpees were my arch-nemesis.  My finish time was 29:16.  Sweaty success!  But the competitive side of me is disappointed I won't see the other times on the white board to know how I fared against those who go to later classes. 


I mentioned how I have fallen in love  have become obsessed bought a julienne peeler.  Here is my first recipe utilizing my new beloved kitchen gadget.  It is the perfect summer dish! If you love sushi, you will love this. The texture reminds me of seaweed salad, hence the name.


Cucumber "Seaweed" Salad with Seared Ahi Tuna
(Paleo, Gluten Free)
1 serving
ingredients
2 large cucumbers, peeled and julienned (Once you get to the seeds when julienning (word?), stop.  The middle of the cucumber will not yield "noodles".  I chopped up the seedy middle for salads.)
1/2 bell pepper, sliced very thinly
1 tbsp tahini
1 tbsp water
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp agave
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp Bragg's amino liquids
1 ahi tuna steak
salt and pepper to taste
juice of 1 lime
1 tbsp Bragg's amino liquids
1 tsp coconut oil
Siracha hot sauce to taste


directions
Combine tahini, water, lemon juice, agave, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, 1 tsp Braggs amino liquids and mix with fork.  Pour over cucumber and peppers, cover, and put in the refrigerator for a few hours.


Mix lime juice, 1 tbsp Braggs aminos, salt and pepper.  Pour in a bag with the tuna steak and let marinade for a few hours. 


Heat coconut oil in skillet.  When skillet is really hot, add tuna steak.  Cook about 3 minutes on each side, just until the center is no longer cold.  Slice and serve on top of cucucmber and pepper salad with dizzles of siracha hot sauce.


Are you competetive?  I definitely am.  But when it comes to CrossFit, I know sometimes I only have so much to give and often have to swallow my pride.
Do you love sushi?  Yes!  It's so expensive, so I don't eat it nearly as often as I'd like.


It's almost the weekend, and I'm going to see Gavin Degraw, Cobie Calait, and Andy Grammar tonight!!!

4 comments:

  1. I am so competitive with sports! I think the high school soccer player comes oozing out of me! However, burpees make me cry.

    Is it weird that I think julienne veggies taste better?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No! I think so too! I'd julienne eggs everything if it were possible...eggs, tuna, tomatoes, watermelon. PS. I'm loving your new blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. GRT recipe! I stumbled across your blog via my google alert for 'tuna' (I work for Itsumo Ahi Tuna) and I was pleasantly surprised to find a fellow CrossFitter and ancestral health advocate. Let me know if you are ever interested in trying our Paleo Ahi Jerky ... happy to send ya some samples. Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would LOVE to try some, and I'm sure my fellow CrossFitters would love it if I shared. The idea of tuna jerky kinda scares me, which makes me want to try it. I just looked at Itsumo's website and am very impressed! Feel free to e-mail me at beccaardoin@yahoo.com.

      Delete