Monday, July 30, 2012

Book Review: Drop Dead Healthy

Happy Monday!  I hope everyone had a great weekend.  It was really hot here, but I accomplished a lot (cut grass, cleaned house, CrossFit, laundry) and had fun (pool day, Marshland Festival - dancing!!, catching up with friends from out of town, loving on my adorable godchild).

Half marathon training still isn't going so well.  And by not so well, I mean not at all.  I cannot get motivated to run in the mornings!  Week 1 of training was non-existent, which doesn't worry me since I know I can pick up at 4 miles no problem, but now it's time to get serious.  I have scheduled a 5:00 AM wake up call from a friend who is working nights, so maybe he will motivate me. (He can be quite aggressive and I doubt my wake up calls will be gentle soothing words of encouragement.)  Also, I'm going out of town this weekend with my training partner, so she will force me to run!

Onto other things....

I finished this book last week.

source
It was not at all what I expected.  When I checked out the book, I was hoping for some inspiration to clean up my diet and hit the gym/pavement harder.  Inspiring it was not.

My assumption was that he would explain in detail the benefits of changing his lifestyle and the affects each change had on his body, mind, and soul.  He was much more vague.  The "projects" he chose to become more healthy were science based, which I respect, but some were extreme and unrealistic if you aren't being paid to write a book about them.

While I did laugh out loud a few times, there was no novel information learned from this book.  It was just a recount of what happened at the gym, in the doctors office, at home, and I often found it boring.  Luckily, it was a quick read.  

I would give it 3 out of 5 stars (and I did on goodreads.com), but only because it made me laugh.


Have you read this book?  If so, what did you think?

4 comments:

  1. I hear ya on the training lull. I'm training for a marathon in October and I have had NO motivation recently. I'm blaming it on the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't sound like a book I'd want to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read one of his other books and really liked it- great to hear your review on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm currently training for a half too but also struggling with doing my runs. Hopefully this week is better. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete