Thursday, August 18, 2011

Veggie Chili & Dresser Makeover

What do you do when you have a ton of squash, zucchinni, and peppers in your fridge that need to be cooked before they go bad?  Make chili!

Veggie Chili

ingredients:
1 small white onion, chopped
1/2 purple onion, chopped
1 can chicken broth
1 tbsp garlic
2 green bellpeppers, chopped coarsely
2 red bellpeppers, chopped coarsely
4 banana peppers, chopped coarsely
4 small zucchini, chopped coarsely
1 extra-large squash, chopped coarsely
1 can chili beans
1 can ranch style beans
1 can chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tsp red/cayenne pepper
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp oregeno



*These quantities were based on what I had in my fridge and pantry.  The great thing about cooking is you can always change things up.  Feel free to use less or more or substitute ingredients based on your preferences.

1. Spray bottom of stock pot with non stick cooking spray.  Put on stove over high heat.  Add onions and sweat them down.  If they start to stick, add a little chicken stock. (This is my trick to use less oil when cooking.  Sautee in non-stick cooking spray and chicken stock.)



2. When onions are translucent, add garlic.  Cook for about 30 seconds or until garlic is browned. 



3. Add peppers, zucchini, squash, beans with juice, tomatoes with juice, the rest of the chicken broth, tomato paste, and the rest of the ingredients.  Bring to a boil.






4. After it starts to boil, reduce heat to medium.  Simmer for at least 30 minutes, or until chili is as thick or juicy as you like.



5. Enjoy! I eat mine with fat free sour cream & fat free shredded cheddar, and maybe a couple of slices of avocado and some fresh cilantro.

It didn't turn out as spicy as I would have liked. Next time I will use Rotel instead of diced tomatoes. Normally, I would add jarred jalepenos, but I didn't have any, so I squeezed some sirracha hot sauce on top. It added just the kick I was wanting. Hi-ya!

This recipe made a ton!  But that's okay, because it is a great one to freeze.  What I don't eat in the next few days will go to the freezer, and come back out on a cool, fall day, which is hopefully sooner than later.


Remember my dresser I was making over?





Here it is, all gussied up!



I used a spray adhesive to cover it in wrapping paper, then sprayed it with an aerosol polyurethane.  I also spray painted the knobs black, and ta da! 



Excuse my mess of clothes on the floor.  I need a chest of drawers the size of Antarctica! 

She is all dressed up and has a date with my pajamas!




I'm off to CrossFit to meet "Katrina".  I am going to try this one as prescribed! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment