Monday, November 28, 2011

Motivation Found

Unlike Saturday, Sunday was a very busy and productive day.

It started out pretty slow, with a bowl of pumpkin and peanut butter oats and mutiple cups of coffee.  Even Lola had a hard time getting off the couch.  Thankfully, it was pretty chilly, so I didn't have to beat the heat for a run.

Finally, I forced myself into my warm running gear (tights and a sweatshirt) and set out for my last long run before my very first half marathon next weekend.  It was very windy, but I moved pretty fast (for me) and finished 6 miles in less than 60 minutes.

Target was next on my agenda.  My Christmas tree was only half lit up because I ran out of lights, so I bought two more boxes and hair conditioner.  And a new candle, because all I had were beach smells and I needed something Christmas-y.  I opted for one called "fireside".

I added the two strings of lights to my tree, but it still wasn't enough.  I needed a few things from the grocery store, so off to Kroger I went.  A string of lights was cheaper there than at Target!

The additional string still didn't reach the top of my tree, but I wasn't going back to the store, so I made it work. 

By this point I was starved, so I whipped up an egg white cheddar & chive frittata.  While I was playing chef, my favorite "handyman" called and said he was coming over to fix my closet. (I previously mentioned my closet mishap).  While I adore him and am so thankful he works for cookies, he is slow as molasses.  Add that to the fact that we hadn't seen each other in over a month and spent a lot of time visiting, it was 3 hours later when he left. 

I still had a lot to do, so I rounded out my evening by finishing my tree decorating, almost finishing the rest of my decorating (I need some magnolia leaves, greenery, and fabric to complete my holiday decor), cleaning the floors, cooking soup, and finally showering. (Yes, I was still in my stinky running clothes.)

The soup I whipped up was this recipe from Rachel Ray.  I skipped the olive oil and used non-stick cooking spray to sautee the veggies, added red and yellow bellpeppers with the onion, used shrimp instead of chicken, and left off the tortilla chips.

Mexican Chicken Lime Soup

It was a very easy, quick recipe.  But I made a tragic mistake.  I used the whole can of chipotle peppers and it was HOT.  I thought the recipe called for 2 cans and only used one, but I later realized it called for 2 peppers out of the can.  Oops!  After I tasted it and discovered it was almost unbearably spicy (and I like spicy), I picked most of the peppers out of the pot.

My evening ended with the Real Houswives of Atlanta and falling asleep on the couch.

Back to the grind today. :(


How did you spend your weekend? 
Have you ever made a recipe blunder that ruined your dish?
After my chipotle pepper incident, I thought of the time on Friends when Rachel was making a trifle and the cookbook page got stuck together with shepards pie.  Haha.

Pictures of my Christmas tree and decorations coming soon!


I'll leave you with some funny Christmas decorations to make you laugh on this Monday morning.


source
source
source