Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween & Radish Greens (It Rhymes!)

Weekend Recap:

Friday
Good defeated evil at CrossFit's Halloween party/workout.  Of course I was on the winning team! ;)


I ended up not having to worry about a costume, because a friend wanted me to be the monkey to her banana.  I just wore black workout clothes and she brought me a monkey mask.  The problem was determining on which team I should be placed, because is a monkey good or evil? 


It ended up being my choice.  I chose good and I chose right.  We were the underdogs and pulled out the win!


The workout was a race, with each team member starting the first exercise of the workout after another finished it.  As long as a teammate was still finishing reps of a particular exercise, another teammate could not move on to that exercise.  We strategized by leading with our strongest and ending with our weakest.  I am happy to say I was in the middle of the pack and did not hold anyone up.


Ashley had the Box decorated spookily, and there was plenty of food, beer, and margaritas.  I wasn't able to stay and party because I had to get home, eat a healthy dinner (2 poached eggs over sweet potato hash with pepper & onions), and get to bed so I would be ready for my early Saturday morning. :(

I stayed up later than planned watching the Cardinals win the world series.  Yay!



Saturday
5:30 alarm.  Breakfast, coffee, bathroom.  Then, I changed into my favorite running tights and long sleeve nike pullover (yay fall!), looked up "running" in pintrest for motivation, and headed out the door at 7:30.


In order to keep things interesting, I decided to run a new route rather than downtown. 


I really enjoy running in neighborhoods because the traffic isn't as bad and I like to look at the houses and analyze them.  I pick what I like about each house and landscaping and what I would change about it.


My preferences for neighborhoods to run through are as follows:
-safe (ie. the value of the houses is high)
- established (ie. houses are not new, cookie cutter houses)
- sidewalks


This morning, I chose a route winding all through Holly Hill.


The weather was wonderful.  About every 3 minutes, I thanked God for the perfect day and asked him if it wasn't too much trouble, could he possibly, pretty please, make it exactly like this on race day?!

During the week, I researched how to fuel during a long run.  After about an hour, your glycogen stores are depleted and need to be restored by consuming carbs to avoid "hitting the wall."

Instead of purchasing gu or gu chomps, I opted for some good ol' Haribo gummy bears.  I shoved a few in the key pocket of my shorts and popped them in my mouth around mile 4.5.  They were too hard to chew so I ended up swallowing them whole.

I guess they worked because I felt great the entire run.  All 1 hour & 40 minutes (1:40:36 to be exact) and 10 miles of it!

The rest of the day was lazy and snacky.

I did finally plant my lettuce seeds and replant some other lettuce Lola ate.

Oh, and I hit up Old Navy because they had an extra 50% off all their clearance merchandise.  I bought 3 shirts, a cardigan, and running capris all for $35!

Saturday Night
One of my besties had a Halloween party at her house. 


Normally, I go way overboard on my costume, planning months in advance and making everything by hand.


2008 as Elvis.  I sewed that jumpsuit.  It fit awful and was pretty see through.



 2009.  I hand glued all those feathers!  Check out  baby Lola.  She was a crawfish.



This year, not so much.  I rummaged my closet, pulled out a denim shirt, and ta da: Rosie the Riviter.




It was easy and cheap.  All I had to buy was the red bandana for $0.99. 


I drank my Shiner Cheer, ate gumbo made by Kory, one of the best cooks I know, and partied with Goose & Maverick, a cop & her prisoner, indians, bat girl, a fireman, Amy Winehouse, Mario & Luigi, Wolverine, and a pink lady.


Fun, late night!


Sunday
Dad was hunting and mom was visiting her parents, so no family lunch for the second week in a row. :(


I had to fend for myself, so I grilled turkey-hummus burgers, roasted butternut squash, and smothered onions.  I dumped it all on top of some spring mix.  Yum!  I made enough to pack for lunch for the next couple of days.


After rearranging my closets (and accidentally pulling one of my closet rods out of the wall), Lola and I headed to my parents because they were back in town. 


My mom fried up some backstrap off the deer my dad shot Saturday night.  Can't get more fresh and in season than that!  It was tender and quite scrumptious.  Along with the backstrap, we had homemade biscuits & gravy and muscadine jelly. Bluebell was for dessert...a scoop of homemade vanilla and a scoop of pralines & cream.


Of course I never leave my parents' house without some goodies (see here, here, here, here).  This time, it was radishes, eggplant, and peppers from the garden. 


The greens on the radishes were so big and bright.  I asked my dad if they were edible, and he said he didn't know.  So after we washed them, I nibbled on a bit.  It tasted like a peppery, slightly bitter green.  My dad decided to try some, too, and he agreed with me. 


Naturally, I googled "Are radish greens edible?"  I discovered they are, in fact, edible and full of vitamin C and calcium.

Here are some radish green recipes I stumbled across that look tasty:


- Radish Leaf Pesto from Chocolate & Zucchini

- Use them in green monster smoothies

- Radish Greens Soup

- Green Pumpkin Seed Mole from Everday Southwest


I chopped some up and threw it in with my spring mix for lunch today.


***Sorry again for the lack of pics...I'm still cameraless. :(  I am determined to have it back by today or tomorrow.

How was your weekend?  Did you dress up for Halloween, if so, as what?

Have you ever eaten radish greens?

Do you fuel durning long runs?