Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Weekend Update and Winter Vegetable Stir Fry

Hello!  Sorry this blog has been vacant for 3 days...I've been a very busy girl!

Friday was a crazy day at work, followed by an evening of baby shower prepping.  

Saturday morning consisted of more baby shower prepping, followed by a baby shower brunch for my best friend and mom to be, Kristi.
the hostesses with the mom to be
My sister made baby Patrick's cake!
After cleaning up this shower, I raced to Moss Bluff for another baby shower for my friend Kerri.  The ladies that hosted her shower did an AMAZING job!  It was coastal themed and adorable!  Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures because I didn't want to put my little brunch shower to shame.

Saturday afternoon was spent in the company of pizza, beer, and football.  And a nap. I slept through the second quarter, but unfortunately was awake for the last quarter.  What a heartbreaking loss for the Saints!

Sunday morning was AWFUL!  Lola got sick in the house, so I woke up to 6 massive piles of dog mess.  After cleaning all that and gagging 5000 times, I hit the pavement for an 8 mile run, only to get a visit from Aunt Flow around mile 1. (TMI?)  Ugh.  So I gave up on the morning and went to my parents for lunch.  

I spent the afternoon sitting by the pool and in the hot tub (reason 2348972 I love living in South Louisiana: Poolside days in January!), and the evening watching Money Ball and the Golden Globes.

Monday I was off work for MLK day.  Jewelry shopping consumed my morning (I needed jewels for my Mardi Gras ball dress).  My friend Andrea picked me up after lunch and we ran errands then ran streets.  Andrea used to be my best running buddy, but she moved to Moss Bluff, so we have a hard time getting together for runs.  Yesterday we tackled 4 miles, and it was fun!  I didn't realize how much I miss running with someone.  I'm currently trying to convince everyone I know to become a runner so I have someone to run with at all times.

My grandma sent me a massive ice chest filled to the brim with cauliflower from her garden.  It filled 50% of my refrigerator. 


There is more hiding in the produce drawer.

In addition to the cauliflower, I had purple cabbage, regular cabbage, and broccoli she sent earlier in the week.

So last night for supper, I tried to think of a dish that incorporated all of the produce. I came up with a simple stir fry.

Winter Vegetable Shrimp Stir Fry

ingredients
1 1b shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 head of cauliflower, chopped
1 head of broccoli, chopped
1/2 head of purple cabbage, sliced
1/2 head of cabbage, sliced
1 tbsp grapeseed or sesame seed oil
1 tbsp minced garlic
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup lite soy sauce
1 tbsp teryaki sauce
salt and black pepper, to taste
1 tsp red pepper flakes
siracha sauce, to taste

directions
In a large wok (mine wasn't nearly big enough), heat oil over high heat.  Add garlic and cook until fragrant.  Add cabbage and broccoli and season with salt and pepper.  Cook for approximately 5 minutes.  Add cabbage and season with salt and pepper.  Cook for approximately 5 minutes.  Add shrimp, rice wine vinegar, soy, teryaki, and season with salt, black pepper, red pepper, and siracha to taste.  Cook until shrimp are pink.


It's not nearly as pretty as I thought it would be.  The soy sauce absorbed into the cauliflower and cabbage and made the dish very brown, but it was delicious none the less.

Note on Sugar Free January: I caved!  After resisting cake at the baby showers, I gave in after my awful Sunday morning.  I ate my sister's homemade banana pudding with homemade whipped cream and toffee.  Yum!  It was delicious!  Then, yesterday, I ate leftover cake from the baby shower.  I brought it home for my dad, but forgot to bring it to him, then told my roommate to eat it, but he forgot.  So I ate it as post run fuel last night.  Back off sugar today, though!  Only 13 more days to go.  And I already have another challenge lined up for myself for February.

Were you off work yesterday?  How did you spend your weekend?  Do you like running alone or with a buddy?

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'll make sure to let my sister know you think so!

      Delete
  2. I like running alone and with a buddy - depends on what I am feeling like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Sometimes running alone is what I need to clear my head and I can go my own pace. But a buddy can be good company to help pass the run and they can also push your pace!

      Delete