Sunday, January 22, 2012

Why Buy It When You Can Make It?

Why buy almond butter when you can make it?

I had a hankering for a nut butter and jelly sandwhich, but ran out of almond butter and peanut butter.


Approximately 1 cup of almonds in the food processor for about 15 minutes results in 1/3 of a jar of almond butter.


9 cup bag of almonds at Sam's=$11, which will yield 3 jars of almond butter.

3 jars of almond butter at Wal-Mart (where it is $2 a jar cheaper than Kroger)= over $16.

Not to toot my own horn, but my homemade almond butter was the most delicious almond butter I've ever tasted!  It was so creamy and smooth! 


Why buy fries when you can make your own?

Wine tasting, beer sampling, and visiting a couple of bars for more drinks Friday night led to a pretty lazy Saturday morning.  While lazing on the couch, a commercial for Burger King's new fries caught my eye. 

French fries started consuming my mind.  Rather than get out of the house for greasy, fried, fast food fries, I decided to be a teensy bit health conscious and make some oven fries.


I cut red potatoes into fourths, sprayed them with cooking spray, and put them in a greased baking pan in a 425 degree oven for 45 minutes.  After removing them from the oven, I tossed them with garlic salt and black pepper.

Yum!  I dunked them into a mayo sirracha dip.

Why buy Starbucks when you can make great coffee at home?

The basket for my coffee pot was left at the home of a friend who hosted the baby shower last weekend.  I can't live without coffee, so I was forced to rediscover my french press.

Leaving that basket was a blessing in disguise.  I forgot how much superior french pressed coffee is to dripped coffee!


The only negative is it doesn't keep coffee warm.  If you want more than one cup, you have to repress.  It's really not a problem if you keep the water in the tea kettle boiling.

Why pay for entertainment when you can make your own?

After spending all of Saturday morning in the house, I needed to get out!  It was warm and beautiful outside, so I decided to take Lola to the park on the lake. 

We had the best afternoon, and the icing on the cake was that it didn't cost a dime!




What have you made rather than bought lately?


5 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed you made the almond butter- it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could say I made something at home instead of buying it, but nope! I actually have a food processor and I don't have it open, we just have no room in our small place! I hope to use it one day soon!

    Happy Sunday night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something to look forward to! And you will be in a house soon. :)

      Delete
  3. I was shocked at how easy it was to make nut butters! There really is no reason to buy the stuff when you can just make it.

    ReplyDelete