Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Filthy Fifty & Paleo Crockpot Lasagna

I was up after midnight last night, so the 5:00 alarm came way too early. Much to my despair, upon checking this morning's WOD, I saw this.  Ughhh.  It has been attempted before, but never completed. 

The cutoff was 30 minutes.   I finished the box jumps (20"), jumping pull ups, kettle bell swings (35#), lunges, skipped the knees to elbows (I was going to come back at the end because they take me for.ev.er!), finished push press (35#), back extensions, wall balls (14#), and 21 burpees.  By the time I got to the push presses, I was pooped.  One day, I will complete this workout in less than 30:00!

But today, Filthy Fifty has left me in desperate need of a nap.  

Maybe after lunch.  Which is going to be....


Paleo Crockpot Lasagna
In season vegetables, Paleo, and a Crockpot meal. 
4 servings
ingredients
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 tbsp garlic, minced
1 lb ground meat (I used venison.)
1 tbsp salt
1/2 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1 jar (~16 oz?) Paleo friendly marinara (I use no sugar added Ragu.)
4 eggplant
4 squash
~1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
salt to taste

directions
Heat olive oil in large skillet.  Add onion and cook until translucent.  Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.  Add ground meat, seasonings, and herbs.  Cook until meat is browned.  Add marinara. As soon as it begins to boil, reduce heat to medium.  Let simmer while prepping the rest of your ingredients.

Slice eggplant into strips or "noodles" using a peeler.  Do the same with the squash.  Layer eggplant noodles into the bottom of the Crockpot.  Season with a little salt (I did this for each layer.). 

Add a layer of squash noodles.  Top with some torn basil leaves.


 Then add 1/3 of the meat and marinara mixture.  Repeat for 3 layers.  Cook on low for 8 hours.


Did you ever eat frozen lasagna? I used to love it as a kid!  I remember they took over an hour in the oven and I was always so impatient for it to hurry and cook so I could chow down. 
Of all the exercises in Filthy Fifty, which is your favorite and which is your least favorite?  Box jumps are one of my favs, but my calves are still uber sore from 200 double unders on Saturday and I had a really hard time jumping today.  Least fav, hands down - burpees.  I also hate wall balls.

1 comment:

  1. wow! that workout sounds intense! maybe I should try to incorporate some of it into my weekly workouts!

    ReplyDelete