Friday, December 23, 2011

Spinach & Sweet Potato Hash

I'm a thief! 

I bought sweet potatoes a week or so ago with the intentions of making a venison & sweet potato shephards pie, but ending up making this instead.

So I had these sweet potatoes that needed to be used, when I remembered this recipe I saw somewhere.  For the life of me, I cannot remember if it was on a blog, in a magazine, on the Food Network.  Therefore, I cannot give due credit. If this is your recipe, I'm sorry for stealing it! (but obviously not so sorry that I refrained from posting it...)

I guess this is more of a breakfast or brunch dish, but I ate it for supper, so you can too!  Breakfast food is my favorite, so much so that I requested it as my birthday dinner.  Then, cooked up this hash the next night.


 
Spinach & Sweet Potato Hash topped with Poached Eggs
approximately 3 servings

ingredients:
non stick cooking spray
1 tbsp garlic
1 onion, sliced
1 tsp worcestshire sauce
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 tsp fresh sage, chopped
salt, black pepper, & red pepper, to taste
3 handfuls fresh spinach
2 tbsp crumbled blue cheese
eggs (as many as you would like)

directions:
Bring a small pot of water to a boil.  Add potatoes and cook until slightly soft.  Heat a cast iron skillet coated with non-stick cooking spray.  Add garlic and cook until fragrant.  Add onions.  Cook down onions and add salt, pepper, and worchestshire.  Add potatoes to skillet.  Salt, pepper, and add sage to the potatoes.  Add spinach to the skillet and cook until wilted.  Add blue cheese.  Reduce heat on left over potato water so it is simmering, and use it as poaching liquid for eggs.  Serve poached eggs over potato mixture. 

Tastes better than it looks, I swear!

-I didn't have any crumbled blue cheese, so I added a Laughing Cow blue cheese wedge to my individual serving and mixed it in.  It made the potatoes creamy and delicious.

This was a winner. The flavor combo of the sweet potato, sage, blue cheese, and spinach was spot on.   Take it up a notch by adding walnuts or pecan, and even some dried cranberries.


Do you ever eat breakfast for dinner?